Nothing makes a girl want to dust off the old blog more than buying a new MacBook, apparently! So here we go.
When last we spoke, school was just wrapping up and things were looking pretty grim. It was a fake it till you make it situation the last few weeks before summer vacation and truthfully I did much more faking it than making it. Now it’s August, two thirds of my summer is already gone, and I’m feeling like my Summer To-Do list has been woefully neglected despite our best efforts to get in as much fun as possible. Let’s kill two birds with one stone here; I’ll tell you what we’ve been up to, which will help me feel better that we HAVE done a lot of really fun things, and will also fill you in. I’m sure you’ve been dying to know.
- We searched for an apartment for weeks, and just when things started to seem really dire we found an amazing place at a great price. The kitchen alone makes me feel swoon-y. If you come visit I promise a dinner party.
- I went to the Outer Banks in North Carolina for a week with my besties. Things of note in NC: liquor is cheap, surf shops are not, the ocean is super warm and delightful as long as you don’t think about all the stingrays and sharks, and damn if they don’t know how to BBQ some pork. Also, I’m super tan. Try to mask your jealousy.
- Jay and I have made a solid effort at trying to eat and drink at outdoor venues. This includes a lot of al fresco dining on his back porch, where (and I am not exaggerating AT ALL) we spotted a 5-foot long possum strolling up his neighbor’s driveway like he owned the place. It also includes some gorgeous places like the Legal Harborside Roof Deck in Boston and Abbott’s lobster pound in Mystic, CT. Yay for being outside!
- Speaking of Mystic and being outside, Jay’s parents have a sweet pool at their house that we have frequented this summer, accompanied by bloody marys, wine, and various other adult beverages.
- We had a mini-picnic on the Esplanade. While we were sitting there we heard a dog yipping and Jay calmly but excitedly breathed into my ear, “It’s puppy bike!” You guys, Jay has been telling me about puppy bike for months now; it’s a man who rides his bike with multiple baskets on it around the city, and he has a whole bunch dogs in the baskets. Those dogs LOVE being on that bike, and that dude clearly LOVES riding them around. Every time Jay sees him while he’s at work I get a text that just says PUPPY BIKE!!!!! So clearly when puppy bike came riding past us on the Esplanade it was like seeing a legend. I felt warm and fuzzy the rest of the day, every time I thought of those dogs hanging out on that bike.
In fact, I’m going to end the list there. Nothing tops puppy bike. My summer has been lovely after all.
I’m just starting to enter that antsy phase where I know things need to get done, but it’s really too soon to do them, you know? I just need to pack up all my belongings, make sure to go into school a few times before September, and get my game face on for another year of elementary kids.
Who wants to take bets on whether I’ll make it?